The upcoming Nine Inch Nails studio album is entitled Year Zero and will be released on April 17, 2007. The first single, entitled "Survivalism", was due for radio airplay on March 6, 2007, but received an early premiere along with other songs from the album on the NIN MySpace page.GarageBand format The song was later released in for remixing.
A viral marketing campaign has emerged to promote the album's concept. Clues from tour t-shirts have led fans to discover websites that describe an "Orwellian picture of the United States circa the year 2022," and a telephone number that returns a clip of "Survivalism". In addition, the Year Zero song "My Violent Heart" was reportedly found on a thumb drive in the bathroom stall at a NIN show in Lisbon, Portugal (as were other new tracks "Me, I'm Not" and "In This Twilight" at other European concert venues) ahead of their debut on MySpace. This suggests that the band itself covertly distributed the new music. Fan participation in this alternate reality game has caught the attention of the media; MTV News, USA Today, and Rolling Stone have cited fan-site The NIN Hotline, forum Echoing the Sound, fan club The Spiral, and NinWiki as sources for new discoveries.
- Monday, March 26th: "Pro-Life Day" - An outdoor display in front of Jackson Library from 10:00am - 4:00pm will show similarities between abortion and cases of genocide throughout history. At 7:00pm in the New Science Building auditorium, former United States Treasurer and pro-life activist Angela 'Bay' Buchanan will speak on abortion and the failures of feminism.
- Tuesday, March 27th: "Terrorism Awareness Day" - The College Republicans will distribute literature in front of Jackson Library from 10:00am - 4:00pm which discusses the roots of modern radical Islamic terrorism in previous extremist movements, including Nazi Germany. The film Obsession on the same subject will be presented at 7:00pm in the Elliot University Center auditorium.
- Wednesday, March 28th: "Straight Pride Day" - The College Republicans will distribute literature on traditional family values in front of Jackson Library from 10:00am - 4:00pm.
- Thursday, March 29th: "Support Our Troops Day" - Military recruiters will be in front of Jackson Library between 11:00am and 2:00pm distributing literature, and Iraqi War veteran Lt. Col. Scott Rutter will speak on the importance of supporting our military at 7:00pm in the Weatherspoon Art Museum auditorium.
- Friday, March 30th: "PETA Barbeque" - The College Republicans will wrap-up the week with their annual PETA (People for the Eating of Tasty Animals) Barbeque in front of Jackson Library from 11:00am - 2:00pm.